Monday, March 8, 2010

Growing Up Years Continued


Hi everyone:

Grandma's Pantry is back again. It was interesting living during this era. Us kids never realized that we were so poor. If I were to go back to that era at my age now I would've wondered how we ever made it at all. The thing that saved us,I believe,was the fact that we grew everything we ate.

When mom went to the store to buy flour, us girls would argue over which one would get the bag it came in. You see, in those days flour came in a printed cloth bag. Mom would make our dresses, shorts, and shirts out of this bag. We really felt like we were really dressed up when we put on a dress made of this bag as the prints on them were colorful and pretty. Things were a lot cheaper then but since we had very little money we couldn't afford to buy much.

One day my dad brought home a dog BUT guess what? He brought it home in a match box. For those who aren't familiar with the term match box, I will try to explain it. A match box is about 4 inches long and about 1 to 1 1/2 inches deep and the lid would slide either way to get it open and inside were the wooden matches. Anyway, this puppy was so small that when we took him out he fit in the palm of our little hands. We called him Fuji. He was a teacup chihuahua. We trained him to sit up to the table when we would have ice-cream - that was fun to watch.

One day my dad asked us kids to go out to the pasture to bring the cows in for milking. So when we got to the cows we started to bring them in and for whatever reason my sister decided to grab hold of one of the cows tail. I told her to let go but she turned a deaf ear to me and boy did she ever pay for it! The cow started running and every time that her hind feet came off the ground they would connect with my sisters face but she still wouldn't let go. She was about 4 or 5 yrs. old.

So much for now -- TO BE CONTINUED

No comments:

Post a Comment